What phone mount do you use?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Stevenflappy, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Stevenflappy

Stevenflappy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    I find it hard to find a nice phone mount for the Copen…. I think the air vents are moving too much so don’t really work, but how did you guys solve it?

2. Bonesy

Bonesy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3 Champagne Gold
    Carmount is the brand I bought from.
    You stick the little magnet where you want it on the car, press hard on it for 30 seconds, and leave it for 30 minutes (I pressed hard for over a minute and left overnight). You stick the magnet either on your phone or case (they say you can put it between phone and case if your case is thin, but mine is very thin, and it wouldn’t hold well, so I put the magnet on the outside of my case) and same as before, press for 30s leave for 30m. I’ve found it magnets incredibly well. If you go over a strip of bumpy road that vibrates a lot, it may rotate slightly, but it hasn’t come close to falling off yet. I recommend it to anyone that has a car that is stubborn against any other car mount.

3. sheppardpat47

sheppardpat47 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Sirion Sport 1.3 16V 87HP (K3-VE)
    2007 Daihatsu Copen 1.3 16V 87HP (K3-VE)
    Have the same problem, I have a Carplay head unit so I can't put my phone on the dash because I would prefer it to be somewhere on the side of the dash where I dont need to look at it, just plug and put it in a pocket or something

4. Stevenflappy

Stevenflappy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    I went for the quad lock system on the windshield, use it on my Ninebot-Segway too so only needed the windshield holder. Now I can also use it as a speedometer in Km's because it's not very clear in the dashboard, since that's all in miles per hour.

5. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I used one of those mounts that locks into the CD slot. It had an interchangeable head so you could use it for phones or a satnav.

6. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    I find out yesterday that I could also put my phone in the armrest that you can close, the gap is big enough for a cable to pass without any problem so I'm pretty happy !

7. Mike Joseph

Mike Joseph Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    I bought a Bluetooth Apple car play so no connect required and had a USB fitted inside arm rest so phone can charge whilst out of site and it does need to be plugged in as battery runs down pretty quick, especially if satnav is used
    The Pioneer that I bought does have a USB lead from the rear of the unit that sits in the ashtray if I need it. Not quite sure what’s for, could be to replicate the phone screen but have not needed to us it. Perhaps I will go back to the fitter to ask what it is for
    On a separate issue WAZE sat nav makes original equipment look old hat

8. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    I don't quite understand what you say, you have bought an Pioneer Carplay head unit?
    The USB on the back is for connecting your phone... So you have Carplay

9. Mike Joseph

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    The pioneer connects apple play to my phone via Bluetooth so I do not need to plug the phone in to use the phone or use Sat nav on the pioneer
    Now for the difficult part, there is a lead with a USB socket that comes from the back of the pioneer so it is hard wired and the USB sits in the ashtray area. I think that if I plug my phone into that lead it actually mirrors the phone, or if Bluetooth fails it still enables me to still use apple car play
    I will ask and comeback to you

10. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    Carplay is only wireless via Wi-Fi on super expensive models, what is your exact model of headunit? If it's a sub 500£/€/$ headunit it won't have Apple Carplay Wireless
    Bluetooth is only for sharing music and phone (and phone book), nothing else

11. Mike Joseph

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    Morning
    My unit is a Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB if you YouTube it will explain
    The USB cable from the back of the unit is to connect auxiliary that do not have Bluetooth
    It is also to connect an iPhone or other so that one can mirror the phone exactly as if you were using your phone but on the Pioneer screen so you can look at YouTube
    The unit was around £450 and to include fitting, car phone kit and a rear camera that works when I engage reverse cost me £700
    A week later I also had an independent fixed USB socket installed in my arm rest as I realised the phone battery runs down quite quickly. I bought socket separately around £12 and £40 to fit. May have not cost extra to fit if I had it installed at the same time as the Pioneer
    I had it in the arm rest as I did not want to see hanging wires and it avoided having to find somewhere to mount the phone. It also kept the phone out of sight if I vacated the car and forgot to take the phone

12. sheppardpat47

Car(s):

That's the exact one I got in my 07' Daihatsu Sirion Sport! It's a good headunit

[​IMG]

Actually, I got a "in dash" USB fitted on the passager side as you can see with a lightning cable plugged into it
    If I don't plug that cable on my iPhone I won't have carplay, I just have bluetooth/phone that's all

It's charging my phone, a little bit slowly but it's still good for having a trip to my work, of course it won't charge your phone 100% in 10 minutes that's normal

Holy shit.. 700£ is super expensive !!! I paid 250€ for the head unit, 40€ on aliexpress for a good camera, and 15€ for just the cable that goes in the dash
    Done everything myself, was super easy to do

You should use the rear USB on the headunit so you can use Carplay..
    [​IMG]

Here is Carplay running on my unit...

13. Mike Joseph

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace

I don’t need to plug in for Apple car play, that is done by Bluetooth
    The plug in is to mirror the phone

I think you have the 160 rather than the 360 so the £300 you paid is about right
    The 360 is around £100 more

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  14. sheppardpat47

Car(s):
    It's in Wi-Fi, and yeah I've seen that it's there is Wi-Fi Carplay in the 360, sorry mine is the 160... I wasn't sure about it
    But you can still use Carplay via USB if the phones is discharging too much

15. Mike Joseph

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    I had a cigarette lighter outlet fitted in the arm rest so the phone is not in the way or on display which is fine with Apple carplay