Turbo engine removal

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Crumpledbackpanel, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Crumpledbackpanel

Crumpledbackpanel Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Turbo Copen
    Evening all, I promise I used the search function first but didn’t find what I needed.

I experienced alternator belt snappage on the motorway. This led to rapid overheating and now my engine sounds bad. Sadly the catastrophe occurred while I was on a *** **** smart motorway. I wasn’t going to sit there in lane so I kept going until a safe spot.

I have decided to seek and install a replacement engine.

I have a couple of questions before I begin disassembly.

• is this realistically a task I can do myself on a Copen, without a ramp and in the street? I am prepared to rent an engine crane if needed

• any recommended mods/procedures to carry out while the car is disassembled to this extent

Additionally, please link or describe to me a detailed engine removal procedure. It looks straight forward but I’m not familiar with Copens. I have owned mine for 22 days.

thanks for taking the time.

2. Coping

Coping Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen L880
    Daihatsu chore L701

3. Coping

Coping Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen L880
    Daihatsu chore L701
    Hello copen owner,yes you can remove engine by hand,Jack up front of car remove front wheels,drain coolant,drain transmission oil,disconnect front suspension and remove.remove drive shafts.Have a variety of sizes of zip tie bags and a black sharpie marker to put you labelled engine parts in order.Start dismantling top of engine.Remove each front fender and front grill and bumper,headlights so you can remove the front frame,radiator,air box,intercooler.You now have easy access to remove exhaust manifold and turbo assembly. Intake manifold next,cylinder head off.Seperate the transmission from engine block.remove front engine mount and release block from back and side mount ,then you can lift the block forward and out of car....it's manageable by hand when all to other parts are taken off block.(not an exhaustive account...loose framework only)
    A workshop manual is essential for reference.