Tuning up the 1.3Ltr Copen - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Soc, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi all

Any recommendations on what can be done to slightly improve performance and sportiness of the 1.3Ltr Copen? For example, fitting a stainless steel exhaust to improve breathing or fitting a better air filter (just the air filter, not the box section)

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Bemused

Bemused Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Remapping has been very successful on my other cars but yet to see any services for the Copen.

3. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hmmm, remapping would work if this engine had a turbo but its normally aspirated.

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    In Germany there are a few companies that offer ecu remapping for the copen, I'm sure there are some in the UK as well. On the other hand- it would not be much of a difference. Maybe 5 to 10 horse power.

There are no aftermarket air filters (like K&N) for the 1.3 Liter version as far as I know. Let me know if you find any :D A "pod filter" makes the induction sound much more sexy, but it does not make the car faster :/

A stainless steel exhaust with a bigger diameter could be beneficial, especially combined with an ecu remap, but it is very costly.

5. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Easy to check if the induction is restrictive by removing as much as possible and do a short test run with a stop watch, neater still is to use the OBD2 gizmo and 0-60 app etc.
    A five minute run with no f

6. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Did not know the 1.3 was NA, guess it's not a little screamer like the 660 then

7. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I know its hard to get performance enhancing stuff for the 1.3ltr. I thought of fitting a foam air filter which you custom cut yourself such as the following found on ebay - Ramair Universal Large Foam Pad 300 x 200 - DIY - Make your own air filter

The copen definitely needs say some sporty sounds so a custom made Stainless exhaust will certainly do this. I had one fitted to my Fiat Barchetta and it sounded great and of course will last for years and its a great selling point. Looking at the current exhaust fitted I feel it hasn't got long left, so now could be the ideal time to price a SS exhaust system.

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    Regarding the filter: It is taking quite a risk. If it does not fit 100% you risk damaging the engine.

Regardin the SS Exhaust: Shop around! Very often there are differences of a few hundred quid. Do your MOT inspectors look for aftermarket exhausts and want some kind of homologation or can you just slap anything under and it will be fine?

9. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    From my personal experience I have had a SS exhaust (Power Flow) done a month or so back. It was done from the CAT back (with small resonator in the middle) and I have added a Green Cotton Filter (removed box) and used the original little pipe for fitment (The little rubber pipe from the plastic air intake). The filter is quite high up in the engine bay reducing the risk of taking on water/road rubbish etc.

In terms of outright performance there isn't a massive gain but you do get better throttle response and sounds like a high performance motorbike at 5K+ revs. With the roof down it does make me laugh!
    It also has a nice warble while idle and doesn't sound like a wet fart that you may hear on some old 1.2 Corsa.
    I also replaced the rear O2 sensor (for £30 tapped into the new exhaust) as I had the original 10 year old exhaust on which for me just seemed like a common sense thing to do.

In terms of price/quality it depends where you go. I had mine done at Exhaust Mania in Bishop Auckland after a bit of research and a few friend recommendations. If you're thinking of having a full SS (CAT back) make sure you tell whoever is doing it to tap in the rear O2 sensor into the new exhaust. As you can imagine they will probably never had many Copen's in!

Hope this helps a little.

10. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    Looks like a larger engine is the solution, the K3-VE looks to have both a 1500cc and turbo variant.
    Some information in link below, but your being greedy and already have far more power than us 660 guys. :)

Daihatsu K3-VE Cylinder Head Differences & Upgrades

11. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
  12. marinos_84

marinos_84 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3L (2008)
    Hello my friend!
    This is my tuning for my little boy!I'm first stage tuning with air filter,with out catalyst,import system,free exhaust..
    Τotal improvement...105-110hp..but i dont have ecu program.. :(

Attached Files:

13. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I too want to improve the performance of my 1.3ltr but may opt for a CAT down SS exhaust. Don't really want to change the air filer, so apart from serious engine mods, what else is an option ? Cheers

14. Salieri

Car(s):
    The catback exhaust will not make much of a difference SOC, but it has its appeal because it does not rust and sounds amazing :D

15. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    The sporty sound is what is lacking Salieri from the copen. If it was an Alfa Romeo it would have the engine and exhaust sounds to match the sporty looks. I think as you say the SS exhaust from the CAT down may not make a difference in performance but the sound will make you feel a million dollars! Just need to save around £400 to get one fitted

16. Salieri

Car(s):
    400 seems to be a good deal. Just make sure they do it right :D

17. jcuyckens

jcuyckens Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Volvo XC60 2015
    Toyota Corolla 2004
    Rover 45 V6 2005
    Daihatso Copen 2006
    BMW R850RT & R850R
    Yamaha GTS1000 1993
    I've installed the 1500cc 3sz-ve engine, impoved torque, still to remap ECU. I've placed some pictures in the modification section.

18. Bemused

Car(s):
    Copen
    I lifted this text from the interweb in case anyone is interested.

713cc JC-DET (instead off Copen JB-DET) Storia / Sirion X4 engine.In Japanese A1 Class motor sports, turbo charged engines will have to multiply its displacement capacity by 1.4 times. Storia X4 engines are designed to fit this 1 litre race class with a multiple of 1.4 as a turbo charged engine. (713*1.4=998.2cc). Japanese "Kei-Jidousha" or sometimes called "Japanese Mini-Cars" have 660cc capacity, but the Storia X4 has upped its cylinder volume up to this total of 713cc. With large capacity ball bearing turbo-charger and Electronic Fuel Injection mechanism, the Storia X4 does not need to limit its horse-power to "Mini-Car regulations" in Japan. This small engine grows up to 120hp (ps) @ 7200rpm and maximum torques up to 13.0Kg-m @ 4800rpm. Over-rev zone for this engine is approx. 9200RPM and the rev meter has capability to tell up to 10000RPM!.The turbine used in this engine is IHI RHF4 ball bearing turbine. A/R ratio is 16. This engine 'does' 17 psi boost pressure in normal condition. But adjusting the adjustable waste gate which is included with this turbo, allows you to bring the boost up to 24 psi (even with the normal ECU controller and fuel pressure compensation). With 24 psi boost pressure, this engine could go up to 200hp (ps).

19. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Marinos, would love to know how the new stainless steel exhaust on your Copen is performing and how its looking and more importantly how its sounds especially on tick over and when revving and driving it everyday?
    I also have a 1.3 copen and there is no sound from the standard exhaust and I would love a little sporty sound from the exhaust but not too loud especially when driving with the roof up - I hate boomy sound. Love the sound from the Fiat 500 Abarth or the Mini JCW F56.

Cheers

marinos_84 likes this.
  20. marinos_84

marinos_84 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3L (2008)
    This is No1 conversion for your Copen..
    Οpen exhaust system..You will see another car with this conversion!!!