Sill Repair Panels

Discussion in 'Dealers and Suppliers' started by Norman, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Been looking now for over 2 months Globally! There appears to be plenty of reusable Front 1/4 Panels, Doors, Lids Fronts & Rears.

Sills because of the construction with age seem to turn into Biscuits, therefore for all Copen owners a serious issue, however very few folks are talking about it?

Firms are making some replacement parts for Daihatsu models BUT not Copens.... Tried The Brittons, Hepworths, SG Petch, now with no hope I'm still reluctant to scrap my car, anyone out there with any ideas?

Thanks to ALL who take the time & effort to reply .......

2. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Norman

Sills can be replaced by going to a sheet metal jobbing shop/factory with a metal profile of your sill. Preferably make this of wire and measure the length of sill you require. If they can't fit it then find a car body repair shop that will help.
    Best of luck,

3. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks Guzzilman, much appreciate your reply. On another "Copen Site" I was told very much the same scenario, it certainly backs up my theory that Copens are going to the breakers at an alarming rate particularly this year, as the cost of this repair outweighs, the present commercial value of these "high spec" cars, just to get an MOT!

With help from "friendly communicants" I've found only one part of a new sill (require 3 # each side) on a site in Japan & many GRP "go faster" panels! However the world is littered with "Copen (not sills) Bits"? Why would you need these, when the number of drivable cars is diminishing fast?? To add to this, most of those recycled components wont rust, add the fact, the cars have plastic front & rear bumpers, are folks building "kit cars" with these bits???

Surly someone out there has a solution other than "Bodging it myself" (with Apologies to "Real Bodgers" everywhere). Perhaps between us we can raise some awareness, create debate & conversations, even add a name of a friendly panel beater...... Which may just start to bring this skeleton out of its closet but most of all find a load of customers for "OUR HERO"!

4. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    For anyone who is having a sill problem I posted on several Forums the same post.

On this "Dealers & Suppliers" the issues raised have received only one reply from "Guzzilman" (which was much appreciated), however a thread of info has emerged on "Wanted" which hopefully may help anyone with sill trouble & maybe others who have, overcome the issues, yet moved on to join in the debate, to share with us ALL their secret?

Cheers Norman