Sill Repair Panels

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Norman, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Been looking now for over 2 months Globally! There appears to be plenty of reusable Front 1/4 Panels, Doors, Lids Fronts & Rears.

Sills because of the construction with age seem to turn into Biscuits, therefore for all Copen owners a serious issue, however very few folks are talking about it?

Firms are making some replacement parts for Daihatsu models BUT not Copens.... Tried The Brittons, Hepworths, SG Petch, now with no hope I'm still reluctant to scrap my car, anyone out there with any ideas?

Thanks to ALL who take the time & effort to reply .......

2. Shahram Azimi Nobar

Shahram Azimi Nobar Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Some ex-Daihatsu dealers can order any parts you need directly from Japan. You can find them on this website: Daihatsu. I have ordered a couple of parts for my Copen at Daihatsu - Halt Motor Company, and they were very helpful.

3. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks Shahram, very much appreciate your reply, I'll phone Halts tomorrow, however my experience to date, with others I've tried is negative, I did manage to get a price for 6 x pieces from S G Petch, at a cost of 2.5k, unfortunately no delivery details have ever been confirmed, the terms where full payment in advance, with possibly a 3-4 month lead time!

Needless to say I was grateful for their input & information........BUT?

Ill certainly keep everyone posted on "how it pans out"..... Cheers N

4. Chris Hawley

Chris Hawley Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    I would imagine that the prospets of obtaining either OE or repro sill panels for Copen in UK are pretty slender. However, the shape and structure of a Copen sill is not particularly complex and, if not too far gone, ammenable to scratch fabrication of repair sections. I attach some photgraphs of one (of four) that I did (but lack a finalised photo after the final cleaning up).

I wouldn't say easy-peasy but achievable with moderate level skills or a reasonable budget if outsourcing.

What is a lot harder is the rear sill end closing where it forms into the face of the wheel arch. Heavy decay in this area is difficult (or expensive) to repair well and would deserve inspection before embarking on 'easier' repairs.

Then of course there's the ever-so-rust-prone rear wheel arch lip on Copens. What starts out as a local repair to the rear of the sill readily reveals decay up and around the whole arch - not infrequenbly disguised by liberal appplication (by now soggy) filler.

If you've got any photographs of the current state of affairs then that would be interesting.

Attached Files:

5. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks for taking time to reply Chris, your efforts look great, I'm also sure that others are having trouble with a lot of Copens going to the breakers as a consequence? May be some time before the official list of cars on the road has been updated but its an interesting link: DAIHATSU COPEN - How Many Left? (the link may need cutting & pasting into any search)

I've got loads of stuff info on this project, also a post on this site "Dealers & Suppliers" with one reply & "Problems Fixes & Tips" interestingly, receiving no replies, I did try a post in "General Chat" Under "Rust" 20th April 2023, got nor replies....However having just looked again you actually left a post there about your problems on 10 April 2023, wish I'd known to message you then but as a "Newbie" to "On Line Forums" I was very unsure of how to get started!

I will update everyone who cares to read this Copens story when the news is good, I appreciate its very hit & miss. However it would have been great for some one months ago to tell me the truth.....We 've a sort of plan which could still change using gleaned Information involving another post when I see how this pans out I'll go Public!

ronalddoes likes this.
  6. Father Jack

Father Jack Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Skoda Fabia.......girlfriends bought a Copen. I just have to help keep it on the road.
    Norman did you manage to source any sills in the end? I did have a question regarding them in that do they need to be metal? Could they be molded plastic instead?
    Looking at a few Copens at the moment and one of my fears is rust. There is a semi decent one i have seen that the sills have rusted on but overall car seems ok. now I am terrified that I'm going to get hit with a big repair bill if i buy it as the sills will be hard to come by.

7. Chris Hawley

Chris Hawley Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    [QUOTE 'Could they be molded plastic instead?']

The relevant section of the MOT standards reads:
    '....On a vehicle of integral construction, the strength and stiffness of the structure may be seriously affected by any panel being removed or replaced by a panel of different material.
    You should reject any modification of panels if:

• it has significantly reduced the original strength and stiffness of a prescribed area
    • plastics have been used to replace metal in prescribed areas or load-bearing areas'.
    It would, just, be possible to argue on technical grounds that the outer sill is not a 'load bearing area' but I can't picture a MOT tester being easily persuaded by such reasoning.

8. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I'm so sorry I hadn't caught this thread until now, anyhow it's good to know that the subject is finally getting a hearing on Copenworld!

From what I've heard Chris is correct, these testers are not good at understanding Structure & Design components.

To answer your question Father Jack, I've moved slowly forward, unfortunately cannot as of today say whether the plan will work as my welder/Bodyshop has yet to commence battle.

I can point you to a previous post by "Shane" 15th July 2021:
    Rear drivers panels | Copenworld

I can say that these sills are available in the UK, when offered up they're even a similar door opening, however as yet I cannot say they'll fit, without some modifications our plan was to then cover the metal work with the GRP "Side Steps" also widely advertised BUT so far not available to my contact who resides in Japan! Therefore body filler may be the only answer to even out the finish.

I will continue to keep folks updated BUT this project so far has had more set backs than moves forward. Please if anyone has any contact that has access to GRP products in Japan, let us ALL know.

Thanks again Norman

9. Father Jack

Father Jack Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Skoda Fabia.......girlfriends bought a Copen. I just have to help keep it on the road.
    Thanks both Chris and Norman for the replies. I used to own another japanese sports car previously and the outer sills on those used to be fiberglass and were never an issue thats why I asked the question. Of course the construction of the Copen is different so I guess it depends how its attached. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about this subject which is why i am following it with interest. Recently saw a Copen which was in generally good condition but both sills were rusted through. In terms of repair costs this put me off buying it as I was factoring in up to possibly £500 per side for fabrication, repair and spraying which is a huge amount when your looking at a car which is being sold for less than £2k. If there were fiberglass versions more readily available and would go through MOT that would be a major bonus.

10. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Assuming the outer sills have rusted at the bottom only - I believe people have been using Nissan Micra sills to create bottom sill part patches.