Rust

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by katie ellis, Dec 13, 2022.

1. katie ellis

katie ellis Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Dihatsu Copen, Ford fiesta
    I recently bought a 2005 copen for £1800. It has rust on the wheel arches on on some panels on the doors. Is this worth spending money and fixing. I've asked 3 people and 2 have said around £1500 to fix and one said it isn't worth fixing. Im not sure if i should get it treated or leave it as i dont want it getting worse and it makes the car look bad. Im wanting to wrap it and do other cosmetic things to it.

Attached Files:

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    How much it's going to cost depends on how deep it goes and the only way to really know is to remove the paint

I had rust on my copen and it went pretty deep and ended up costing a lot, but I like my copen enough to stomach the cost most people would probably say it was stupid of me :p

20201220_121254_compress41.jpg 20201121_151036_compress40.jpg

But from your pictures mine did look a bit worse (paint was bubbling more), so maybe yours won't be as bad?

3. katie ellis

Car(s):
    Hi, I've had 2 quotes for £1500 and that's for it all sanding down and respraying all the panels.

My end goal is to have it wrapped.

4. David Berry

David Berry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2002
    We had a partial re-spray on some panels just to bring a 2002 model into 2022 - no rust at all for 600 euro so your quotes are probably about right as they need to get back to bare metal and fill and sand and spray.
    Please don't wrap a lovely car...

5. katie ellis

Car(s):

I was planning on getting it wrapped white as to get the rust treated and get the whole thing the same shade of pearl white it would be almost £4000

6. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi mine was way worse than that and is still going strong after stripping back, personally I'd pay for the works as any rust will be made worse by a wrap as it will hold onto moisture

7. Chris Hawley

Chris Hawley Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    Just to offer a general contribution regarding corrosion on Copens; based upon having scrapped one as it was just too far gone and revived another ('Pinky') while the corrosion was still of a, relatively, minor extent.

By the time rust is visible on casual inspection it will be far more extensive than it looks. Some particularly prone areas are the rear wheel arches, front end of the sill and the wheel arch closing panel behind the rear of the sill.

Although the pink one wasn't too bad it was still a fair bit of work making welded repairs. It was within my capabilities to do the work myself but had it not been I don't imagine the bill could have been any less than £1000. Then there's repainting which easily amounts to another grand.

While doing Pinky I didn't see any evidence of factory wax proofing on the internals of the body shell. Given the great effect that wax treatments have on conserving body shells the additional cost of putting this in place seems well worth it.

Attached Files:

sunlover likes this.
  8. Norman

Norman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hello everyone ...very new to this "forum stuff" But needs must, our 54 plate Copen has been given a poor bill of health not written off yet, however the garage we use has suggested that by next MOT the rust on our sills will be a "Fail". Talked with several "body shop" people who draw long breaths & sigh that the 19 year old is past her best? Not had a lot of time to trawl through all the info on this site unfortunately, as someone may have recently already asked about parts .... We've searched on a defined search engine, hopeless! Have spoken to past suppliers (Shaws in Louth Lincs) they've not been able to get anything for over 12 months, is it time to throw in the towel??
    Any thoughts on the issue, we're prepared to put some cash into the "old bird" just wonder will the time spent be best to buy a younger model?
    Apologies if I've not done this incorrectly or trod on toes, never done this sort of exercise before ..... Here goes... Thanks in anticipation of replies on serious Rust!