Roof will not close

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Charles Pate, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Charles Pate

Charles Pate Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Dear all, I am new to copen world and to the copen car. My wife purchased one 6 months ago and she loves it. It has been perfect until a few weeks back when the roof refused to close. I can do it manually but not in the normal way. I open the retaining clips, push the switch but nothing. I have a monitoring tool but there are no errors. Any ideas???

2. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi sorry to hear about the roof, can't help with it but there is a public facebook group for copen also, try there if no one here can help. Must have a read myself I wouldn't have a clue what to do if that happened
    Hope you get it sorted.

3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    You haven’t given us much to go on Charles.

Might be helpful to describe in detail what actually happens e.g. roof light on/off, relay click or not, pump actuates - you get the idea.

Have you tried pulling the switch ?

4. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Hi, the boot and roof opens with no issues. When I press the switch to close the roof nothing happens, no clicks from the relay. No warning light on the dash. Nothing to indicate where the problem is. If I close the roof manually it will open again on the switch but again will not close. I hope this help as I have no more information. Thanks

5. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    My next action was to remove the switch and test if that is actually working.

6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Ok. That’s more helpful.

When you open the roof, the bootlid moves first. When you close the roof, does the bootlid move ? Reason for asking is it’s the same hydraulic force whereas closing the top takes more than lowering.

Now a stupid question (and I fell foul of this myself on the MX5) you know it’s a 2 way switch ? So push to open and pull to close (or vice versa cos I’m in the house).

7. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Hi, thanks for the reply. We have used the roof about 15 times without a problem so I know about the two way switch. But thanks for the comment as it could be something stupid. No the boot does not open when I try and close the roof...Nothing happens. I will try and look at the switch tomorrow as the next step.

Best wishes

8. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    :banghead::banghead::banghead:I speak from experience. I px’d the Copen for an MX5 and was used to the single switch. On the MX5, I couldn’t close the roof and drive back to the dealer spitting feathers. Turned out there are 2 switches on the MX5.

9. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo
    Dear all, I started to look at the switch then found the battery was dead so I fitted a new one and found "The roof worked again". That's all I did.

Bob

10. Charles Pate

Car(s):
    Copen 650cc turbo