Roof Issues - advice needed

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by SteveT, Aug 3, 2021.

1. SteveT

SteveT Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2015 RR Sport, 1959 Triumph TR3A, Copen for Sale
    Hi all.

just bought a 2009 and the roof is sticking half way.

Windows go down, boot lid opens and then the roof moves a couple of inches and stops. The light on the dash starts flashing.

what do I need to check?

thanks in advance.

2. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Roof opening problems (Theory)

The ECUs are very sensitive to voltage drop and protect themselves by switching off.

We printed off the entire Copen Manuel from this site and after study have come to the conclusion that there are some anomalies.

On page 15-63 battery voltage check shows it must be 10 -14volt, 10 volt will not start the car especially in cold weather!

On page 15-49 under ‘Contents of Malfunction’, power window ECU supply voltage too low (less than 9 volt) Therefore I conclude that your battery needs to be in excess of 12 volt in order to start the car. We always run the engine before ever attempting to open the roof. We have never come across a problem with the roof failing to operate so far. Obviously switches and hydraulics have to be in good order as these are mechanical parts. The battery however seems to be the part most people assume will always work but really needs to be looked after with an intelligent charger at all times when not in use and extend the battery life.

Ceri likes this.
  3. SteveT

SteveT Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2015 RR Sport, 1959 Triumph TR3A, Copen for Sale
    Many thanks.
    A new battery has sorted it :)

Ceri likes this.
  4. Abdul Rahim

Abdul Rahim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Sir do you know how to properly change copen roof motor oil
    2008 model
    and i’m facing the issue and it is sometimes roof works fast and sometimes it’s very slow and after i change it’s oil hydraulic oil
    it becomes fast and suddenly becomes slow
    is there anyway to fix this problem?