Mysterious bleeping

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Steamer775, Jan 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Steamer775

Steamer775 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    My Copen has started bleeping.
    It’s a sequence of (usually) four rapid, high-pitch bleeps, coming from somewhere under the dash to the right of the steering column. It started doing it occasionally a couple of weeks ago but it gradually became more frequent and is now almost continuous.
    There are no warning lights and everything seems to be working fine (including the boot, which I’ve opened and closed several times after noting on another thread that that can cause a bleep). There seems to be no pattern to it (e.g. accelerating, braking, turning, cold weather) but it’s only ever happened when I’m moving. I can’t find any reference to it in the User Manual.
    Any ideas?

2. Shahram Azimi Nobar

Shahram Azimi Nobar Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Copen 1.3L
    Hi Steamer, I came across a similar high-pitched sound in my car last year and it might be something you're experiencing too. It could be due to the disk brake making contact with the brake disc dust shield, or it might be an issue with the wheel bearing. When I faced this issue, I initially thought it was the wheel bearing and took my car to a local garage. However, it turned out to be the disk brake lightly touching the brake disc dust shield. Just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps you diagnose the problem!

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Make an audio recording maybe?

4. Steamer775

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you both for your prompt replies.
    I’ve had the problem of the brake disc rubbing against the dust shield before - I can’t remember if it was on my Copen or my sensible car - but this is a very different sound, definitely an electronic bleep, not mechanical. The pulses are very short, very defined and in very consistent groups of four.
    I’ll try to get audio but I rarely drive with a passenger and it only happens when I’m moving, so don’t hold your breath.

5. Shahram Azimi Nobar

Shahram Azimi Nobar Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Copen 1.3L
  6. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    The only electronic beep I know about when the Copen is moving is when the roof is ajar or roof latches aren't closed. I once set off before the roof was in its fully opened state and got rapid beeping only once I started moving. Stopping to press the roof button to let it move that last little bit fixed it.
    Perhaps this is an area to look into?
    Assuming your roof light is out and everything is in order, it could be one of many active top position sensors acting up. Copens can suffer from moisture and water entering the boot, and its been quite rainy lately so it could've damaged some of the electronics in a weird way.

There is another electronic beep that the Copen can make and thats when you leave your headlights on, key off, and door open, however this is a slower beep, not as rapid as the one I mentioned before but I believe it comes from that same speaker behind the dash near the steering wheel somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  7. Steamer775

Car(s):
    Copen
  8. Steamer775

Car(s):
    Copen

Thanks.
    It might have been that. I’ve had a project on in the garage for a few weeks so the Copen has been out in the rain. It made the bleeping intermittently for a couple of weeks or so then became virtually continuous for a couple of days … then suddenly stopped. I haven’t touched the roof (it’s January!) but maybe the boot just dried out enough.
    Fingers crossed.