Manual to automatic?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Richard Elliot, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Richard Elliot

Richard Elliot Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi people,
    I know it has probably been asked on here before, but I don't want to search through the forums for old threads. And I prefer to get answers from people who choose to reply.

So, one for the engine/transmission boffins amongst you......

I finally managed to find probably the only automatic Copen available for sale in the UK. The only problem is, is that the bodywork/chassis has seen better days. But, undeterred, I decided it was worth the effort and money and I had a significant amount of welding done. The car is now back on the road and running well.

I just have a feeling that it will require more welding work in the not-so-distant future. So I was wondering if anybody knows if it is possible to swap the transmission from my auto one into a manual?
    I have several other Copens, 660 and 1.3, so I have donor cars. And would be willing to sacrifice one of my decent manual ones if necessary. Just trying to find out what would be involved in converting a manual into an auto if I already have both available?

Any advice is appreciated

Many thanks

2. Suzette

Suzette Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Elise, Copen, VRS, GT6
    I have a 660 Auto, but actually have no idea if the swap to manual box would be simple, I suspect it wouldn't.
    Would probably have to change out much of the wiring loom for starters. It feels like a mammoth task, the auto box is ok but clearly slows the car particularly from stationary as you can't rev it to get into the power band.
    I would start by checking all the gearbox mounting points are the same and look for mounting points for the gear leaver and clutch pedal etc.

OOps just re read your post you want to convert a manual into an auto? Don't bother!

3. Richard Elliot

Richard Elliot Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
    And I agree with your comments about the automatic version. Not the best choice for this car. The manual is much better.

and yes, the plan was to convert a manual to an automatic. Purely because my wife can only drive automatic cars but loves these little Copens
    So I bought her the only automatic one I could find anywhere. Spent a small fortune getting it back on the road due to rust issues
    The engine and Gearbox work great. No issues at all with the mechanical side of things. I just foresee further issues with the bodywork in the future.
    And since I have a couple of the manual versions already I just wanted to know if it would be a fairly simple procedure to swap the drive train, or even the complete engine over if needed. I have all the parts. And they are the same car other than the transmission.
    Just wanted to know if anybody has experience of this.

Thanks again

4. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Didn't think they sold the autos in the uk so I suspect it is an import. If so there may be more unexpected differences. I'm pretty sure the wiring and or ecu is different and the gear ratios and final drive may be different (?) which could potentially cause problems with the speedometer.