Looking to buy my first Copan

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DanHargrove, Jul 17, 2024.

1. DanHargrove

DanHargrove Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    Hi.

Hoping to get some advice for my first Copan purchase. I have an appointment at a dealer at the weekend to take a look at a 2005 Copan. For its age it is very low mileage and I am wanting to do some research before hand to make sure, that even with the low mileage, it has been well maintained over the past 20 years. I am after advise around cam belt changes, any other periodic changes that are required and also the dreaded rust and what key areas I need to check.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I very much hope this is my next car.

Many thanks, Dan Hargrove

2. Tieak

Tieak Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2007
    Fiat 500
    Seat Leon
    Here is a good start…
    Daihatsu Copen Buyers Guide

3. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    -No cam belt, they are chain driven. If oil changed often they should last quite a while, and will rattle when worn.
    -Rust spots tend to be sills, particularly near the front wheel, and rear arches, check under boot carpet, you can lift it up to access toolkit and roof ecu area. Even if you don't find rust, don't be surprised if you find body filler or other stuff hiding it later down the road.
    -Check roof works.
    -Look for wet under and behind seats, old car = old rubber seals (which the Copen has a lot of being a convertible) and that can lead to leaks.
    -On test drive, listen for engine rattles and noisy turbo (some noise is normal but it shouldn't be excessively loud or squealing), should feel a noticeable increase in torque at around 3k-4.5k if turbo is working well (2.5k and below there wont be so much which is normal as its less than 1L). If you really want/allowed to, you can inspect the exterior intercooler piping for excessive oil build-up/leaks and remove air filter and look inside the pipes for excessive oil build-up. A light film of oil can be normal for turbocharged engines, but if its very oily or even dripping out, that could be a sign of a serious problem.
    -Rattles from roof are normal.

The rest is just what you'd check on any other car.

Aside from rust, they are generally reliable so long as you follow the maintenance schedule and let it warm up before beating on it (and perhaps check valve clearances every so often...)

DanHargrove likes this.
  4. DanHargrove

DanHargrove Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you so much for the info. It was a huge help during my viewing today. Turns out all was good so today I purchased my first 05 Copan with tiny 7k on the clock.