Looking for a softer ride. And more headroom.

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Lucas, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Lucas

Lucas Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    L880K 1,3L
    Hello Copeople!
    We have A LOT of speed bumps in my country, and I would love a softer ride.
    A thought I had was softer suspension with longer travel, i.e. lifting the car.
    I like how the Porsche 911 Dakar looks, and wouldn't mind a similar look on my Copen if it meant I could get a softer ride.
    Any thoughts?
    Has it already been done?`

Also, I removed some foam from the seat but I would still like more headroom.
    Has anyone replaced the seat rails with just a fixed mount?

Thanks

2. Tieak

Tieak Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2007
    Fiat 500
    Seat Leon
    Greetings,

As mentioned elsewhere, one less involved option is to use smaller rims - 14 inch rather that 15 inch - with a corresponding increase in tyre wall size. This makes the ride less firm (but it'll never be soft :)).

This link will show the required tyre/rim combinations as well as the bolt pattern, offsets etc.: 2007 Daihatsu Copen - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

The wheels' sizes are common with many small Japanese cars - the ones I use came from a Nissan Micra. If you're luck to know anyone with such a car you can even try and swap the wheels just to see how they help - and before you start with any serious work.

For the headroom, you can always drive with the top down - as long as you stay over 60 kmh, even in the rain, you should stay dry - the speed bumps may pose a problem though. :)

3. Lucas

Lucas Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    L880K 1,3L
    Hey thanks for the reply!
    I already have 14" rims that I have winter tyres on, but the difference isn't that big.

About the top down, is it possible to bypass the parking brake and speed requirement?
    I would love to be able to use it while parking, at traffic stops, etc.

Thanks