is this oil ok?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by dsb, Apr 15, 2014.

1. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
  2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Cheap oil is usually recycled from old oil. I would imagine it's ok or it wouldn't reach the standards required and so wouldn't be on sale. I don't think I'd put it in my new Lamborghini though.:)

3. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello dsb,

Oil is the most important consummable fluid of our cars.
    Especially the turbo one, and yours is !!!
    What is the cost of a first quality oïl compared to an unknown and low cost oïl ?
    If you pay your oïl 15£ compared to a 35 £ (which is a high rate price) for 5 liters, and if you change it every 3000 miles (0,7l), you will save less than 20 £, and.... 0,0067 £ per mile.
    What about an engine or a turbo out of order because neglicting oïl quality, to save a small amount of money compared to the global car price, and the cost to repair it :-((
    Definitively: no false economy about oïl quality, and changing it regularly is essential :)

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    It depends how cheap in quality terms a cheap oil is. Cheap oil changed often is likely to be better than expensive oil not changed often, especially with regard to decomposition.

At £15 you could change it every 1500 miles and come out with £5 profit.

A £35 oil might be a good one, but a lot of that extra is advertising you are paying for.