Intermittent roof problems

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by DavidB, Aug 11, 2023.

Tags:
  1. DavidB

DavidB Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2004
    Hi everyone!

I've just bought a 2004 Copen 659cc. It's brilliant, but there are slight issues with the roof, that I can't see referenced in other forum posts, so I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar.

The roof worked fine for the first few days, but in the last couple of days I've only used the car for a few short drives. I'm finding that when I go to open the roof, about half the time, after I pull the latches down and press the button, the light just flashes and nothing happens. I've tried different combinations of handbrake on or off, in or out of gear etc, but can't seem to nail it down. What seems to happen then is I drive it for a few mins then I'm stopped at lights, then try again and it works. Then when I get to my destination, it doesn't work again, but I try again a few mins later and it works.

I park on quite a steep hill...could that be anything to do with it? Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Many thanks!

2. Chris Hawley

Chris Hawley Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2005 Daihatsu Copen
    Copen roofs are complicated machines with many active parts. The factory manual (which can be downloaded from this site) runs to dozens of pages describing roof operation. I wouldn't profess to have any in-depth understanding. The only place I know that has the full diagnostic kit is Quenby in Baldock - not at all handy for Leeds.

That said here's a couple of thoughts:

• The big killer of Copen roofs is damp. Either affecting the the roof control module in specific or the roof electrical system more generally. If the roof control module is failed or failing the only option is replacement with a good used unit. But a basic first step is to lift the carpets in the boot and lift off the polystyrene covering the hydraulic pump and control module. If wet in there then it needs to get dried out. Also feel footwell carpets for wetness; Can be swimming with water and drying out requires removing the seats and lifting the carpets.

• There nothing to lose in lubricating the operating mechanisms that can be seen with the boot open (WD40 followed up with a light oil). There's the lever mechanisms on each side and the boot latch itself.

• Weak or failing batteries are sometimes suggested as a contributory factor to roof problems. I'm not too sure that's a major issue with Copens but worthwhile to do a voltage check on the battery (approx 12.6 volts engine off, approx 14.4 volts engine running)

• Load space divider (the plastic pull out plastic sheet in the bottom of the boot) Needs to properly seated in its locating brackcets for roof to work (as the brackets have hidden sensors in them) Worth a check and that it's inserted the right way up.

• Examine level of fluid in the hydraulic pump. Can be seen with the polystyrene removed (as above). Correct is about 2/3rd full. If low suggests a leak warranting further investigation. While at it the adjacent electrical connectors can be snapped apart, cleaned, and reconnected.

Hardly a guaranteed fix but I hope gives some starting ideas.

DavidB likes this.
  3. DavidB

DavidB Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2004
    Hi Chris, thank you so much for your very helpful response, I really appreciate it.

It has failed completely today so the issue has become rather more urgent than I thought!

I'll try these things tomorrow.

Thanks again

David

4. Ceri

Ceri Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    COPEN
    David how is your roof?

I sometimes find if the roof is too hot mine won’t work.

Dampness in the boot area can stop it working.

Make sure your handbrake is on.

make sure your boot and electronics in the boot are dry.

I have been know to put a fan heater in my boot to dry the electrical components and roof motors.

DavidB likes this.
  5. DavidB

DavidB Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2004
    Hi Ceri,

Thanks so much for your message, and sorry for my very slow reply!

I had my Copen in for a full service shortly after these original messages and the mechanic did a great job (spent his evening looking at it for free!). He lubricated all the moving parts, and it seemed to work great after that. Unfortunately I was then away a lot and the car sat for weeks on end without use...and with winter coming, I think you are right - damp has gotten in there and everything has seized again.

I tried to use the roof the other day to test it was working. The issue now is that the roof button is lit (i.e. things are working), then when I pull it, the windows come down and I hear some of the mechanism in the boot work, but that's as far as it gets, and the roof never actually moves.

I tried to follow your advice and get a heater in the boot to dry everything out, but the boot release button doesn't seem to want to work either, so I'm a bit stuck now. It is okay in that it is all shut and safe, but the hilarious thing is that the poor thing thinks the roof is open and so bleeps very loudly at me when I'm driving!

I will try and find an emergency boot release, so I can follow your advice and try to get everything dried out.

Thanks so much for your help!

David