I have a flood!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Coupon, Jul 11, 2024.

1. Coupon

Coupon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Cope 1.3 Roadster
    Recently purchased a Copen 1.3 which appears to be in general good health.
    However, there is a but........
    I'm working through everything that I think needs to be done for now, beginning with a really good clean, inside and out. Rejuvenating the rubber seals etc etc etc.

Because I'm a bit OCD about some things (possibly everything), I decided to remove the seats to do a forensic detailing job. When I removed the passenger seat I discovered a small swimming pool under it!

I know from my brief scan, that people have had issues with leaking roofs, boots and seals but I'm struggling to find where this came from. I stuck paper towels into all of the crevices overhead and they remained dry. All carpet on the sides surrounding the swimming pool are dry and the plastic drain plug was intact (until I removed it to drain it).

The strange thing is that when I removed the seat and went about cleaning, I didn't notice any water (I hadn't used any liquid at this point as I only got as far as an initial vacuum and stiff brush carpet clean and routing wires for the cameras). All this time I never noticed anything and I'm pretty sure I was kneeling in that area. I had to leave it for a couple of hours, in which time it rained, not particularly heavy at all, but on my return I immediately noticed the flood.
    In total I would say I removed about 1 litre of water and then put the dehumidifier on to dry it out. I had to cut the carpet to see what was going on and remove the plug. The metal looks perfectly unmarked so I can't imagine this has been going on very long, though the bare metal underside of the seat does have some minor surface rust areas.

When I bought the car it had a fair bit of water in the boot around the area of the car jack. There was quite a bit of mild corrosion to the tools and roof motor and surface rust on the floor. That has all been dealt with, cleaned and protected and seals inspected and cleaned. Also found a little rubber bung that must have been knocked off and is presumably a stop for the lid. Replaced that. Never had a drop of water in the boot since. My guess is that either I cured the issue during my cleaning/repair or the water accumulated from the previous owner opening the boot when wet.

Well that was an extremely long winded way of saying, does anyone have any idea where the water under the seat came from?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  2. Coupon

Coupon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Cope 1.3 Roadster
  3. Coupon

Coupon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Cope 1.3 Roadster
    In the meantime I did some seat refurbishment and dyed the necessary areas. Turned out pretty well for the initial attempt but can't seem to get rid of the black marks in the perforations on one of the seats yet. Still some areas that need a little attention and a small tear/hole to remedy.
    4469-6515d4bda5d355f0f9b7a2b8810ba750.jpg