Hello from Swindon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Peter Snipe, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Peter Snipe

Peter Snipe Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    We have a Copen to play with. The roof, rear windows and boot are not playing. Will be using the forum and resources to look into this. Have manually opened the boot. Some water has been in there, but the electronics in the boot look sound.
    Pete

2. Mike Joseph

Mike Joseph Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Jaguar iPace
    Welcome to the club. First thing to check are the fuses

3. Peter Snipe

Peter Snipe Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Fuses were found to be good. Shorted the two pins on the diagnostic connector and reset roof and window ECU's. Roof light flashing light codes are now 5:2 followed by 8:1. The manual suggests the ECU's are both unhappy. I looked in the roof ECU and it looks pristine - no corrosion / delamination of the PCB found. Thinking of either replacement ECU's or getting them tested / repaired. Thoughts?

4. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi Peter

I would do an electrical check on the battery to make sure it’s a good one, Then I would do a check on the output of the alternator so that when the engine is running it’s neither over charging or under charging because the roof ECU will sense it and switch off because it is outside of its parameters. Once this has been achieved as long as there are no fault codes in the ECU it should be OK. As you have found water in the boot, as long as the seals are good around the boot and that the boot has correct shut lines and the electric lock firms the boot down all is good. The water ingress comes in usually via the stop light on top of the boot. You need to remove this and seal it with some suitable waterproofing unless of cause you have a hole in the bottom of the boot somewhere. Word of caution, if you have had some welding done to the car, the alternator needs to be disconnected so that the diodes in it are not damaged.

Peter Snipe likes this.
  5. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    God help you if you need a new alternator. The part isn’t too expensive but replacing it is a nightmare.

Peter Snipe likes this.
  6. Pete Shew

Pete Shew Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Smart Saab
    I'm certainly finding it so :-( I've got my alternator (1.3) by using some 'special' tools including power, drill SDS hammer drill, hammer and chisel, padsaw, etc., but I cant get it out of the cage of drive shaft, engine, sub frame and various pipes etc. Has anyone got any advice?