Clutch problem

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Dawn Finch, Dec 10, 2020.

Advice needed

Poll closed Dec 17, 2020.
  1. 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dawn Finch

Dawn Finch Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello all,

I have a 2002 659cc copen. Recently had difficulty getting into 5th gear, sometimes crunches in others. My problem is, my mechanic isn't able to source a new clutch. I got a quote from Mr Clutch too and they said they would try and fit a 2004 model. If this is possible then I'm thinking my mechanic could do the same. Does anyone know if you can fit a 2004 into a 2002?

Another problem I had this morning. Driving into work, I heard a click, the battery light went on and I lost power steering. Has anyone had this problem?

I'm thinking I need a new car LOL.

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    As far as I'm aware, there's no difference between a 2002 and a 2004 Copen. I don't think there's any difference between any 659cc Copen as far as the clutch is concerned.
    Also, have you tried the cable to see if that could be a cause for the problem?

3. Dawn Finch

Car(s):
    Copen
    My machinic knows nothing about the Copen. But, we know now the power steering belt has broken. Trying to find a replacement in the UK is impossible. I have ordered one on buycarparts.co.uk (thinking they are in the UK) but the confirmation email says it's coming from Germany! I ordered a 2003 belt, but now I'm thinking I should have ordered 2004? Until this arrives I am without a car. If I can get the belt fixed I'll then get onto the clutch. I think Mr Clutch would be a better option, and I can ask if they'll look at the cable. More expensive but also more knowledgeable. I'm looking at another site now but nothing is saying steering belt, do they have another name do you know. Like Poly v-belt, timing belt, v-belt. That's all I'm finding at the moment.

Such a shame, I love my little car but didn't realise buying parts was going to be so difficult.

4. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    It might be worth double checking or giving these guys a shout: info@autopartspro.co.uk

If you're looking for the powersteering/altinator belt you might be able to get one here: https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/carparts-suche?keyword=power+steering+belt.

With regards to getting a fresh clutch kit (if needed) you could consider this: https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/aisin-8163525

Matching vehicles it claims to be:
    DAIHATSU Clutch kit
    Copen I
    0.7 Year of Construction 09.2003 - 09.2012 47 kW 64 HP
    0.7 Year of Construction 09.2003 - 12.2007 50 kW 68 HP

Hope this helps.

Dawn Finch likes this.
  5. Suzette

Suzette Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Elise, Copen, VRS, GT6
    A little info on multi rib drive belts, generally the rib profile is 'PK' this is the shape and size of the belt ribs, then there is the amount of ribs, say 5. Then there is the length, in mm, something like 875, therefor the belt will have something like 6PK875 in my example.
    Then just search the internet for a standard belt from an industrial suppler.

6. Dawn Finch

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi, thanks for the post. I spoke to a local shop Euro carparts. We managed to get similar size belts. Apparently you can go a few mil either way. Couldn't get exact size for car, 2 mil bigger, or 2 smaller. The garage sorted it, so I'm not sure which way they went. They had to fit 2 new belts in the end.

Now I'm waiting on results of a clutch check. I dropped it off with Mr Clutch this morning before work. He said it can't be the clutch cable if I'm only have trouble with 5th gear. To be honest all gears are stiff, I think I've just got used to it over the months. 5th I can't get into. They said it could be the gear box. I'm waiting for them to call me back - fingers crossed.

Update - it is the clutch - I'm pleased about that! I need to wait 6 days for repair day. She'll be like a new car when I get her back :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  7. ianpaulwells

ianpaulwells Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    This is a very interesting post. I’m going to have a go at my clutch and see how I get on.
    If anyone can point me to a copy of the workshop manual then I would be very grateful.
    Cheers

8. Suzette

Suzette Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Elise, Copen, VRS, GT6
    Manual is available in the Resource section above

9. ianpaulwells

ianpaulwells Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    It looks like I'm not yet eligible to download the manual. I will have to wait :-(
    Do you know if it is available anywhere else ?
    Thanks

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Can you download the manual now? It should only take a couple of posts to activate.
    If you still have a problem, message the founder Copenworld and I'm sure he will sort you out.