Another Shock Absorber Post

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Bauhaus, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Bauhaus

Bauhaus Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Afternoon all,

Our 1.3 has had an advisory on the rear shocks as part of its MOT. This gives me some breathing space to sort out replacements.

However, most of the existing related threads are pre-COVID, pre-Brexit and pre-Ukraine and the sourcing of car spares has gone crazy since then. Even our local former-Daihatsu garage has gone out of business.

Can anyone recommend a source of new, replacement shocks. Doesn't have to be OEM but must be suitable for day-to-day road use, not rock hard racing coilovers. I'm based in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bauhaus

Bauhaus Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Just to answer my own question in case anyone else has the same issue. There's a guy on eBay now selling the Monroe Copen rear shocks for £180 a pair. These are allegedly compatible with both the 660cc and 1.3l variants.

DAIHATSU COPEN Pair Rear Shock Absorbers New Monroe highest quality - Left/Right | eBay

Sounds expensive but with OEM replacements at around £250 new (if you can find them), I'm tempted to pull the trigger. Can't really risk an MOT failure next year just because no new shocks are available.

3. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    180 quid is not suuuper expensive given the current situation. I paid 140€ a few years back for some OEM Showa 48531B2400 shock absorbers.

I guess they are reselling shock absorbers made for a different car that are a close match. You can probably get them for 80 quid elsewhere if you knew the Monroe parts no.